- Avocado Oil 2 Tbsp.
- Onion, diced 1 medium
- Carrots, Organic, washed, unpeeled, chopped 3 medium
- Garlic, chopped 2 cloves
- Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into chunks 1 large
- Nutmeg, fresh, grated 1/2 tsp.
- Thyme 4 sprigs
- Salt 1 tsp.
- Cayenne Pepper 1 pinch or to taste
- Vegetable Stock, low sodium 4 cups
- Petite Diced Tomatoes, canned 14.5 oz.
- Kale, ribs removed and coarsely chopped 1 small bunch
- Chickpeas, drained and rinsed 14.5 oz. can
Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the butternut squash, nutmeg, salt, and cayenne; stir to combine. Add the Thyme (whole sprigs), stock and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove Thyme sprigs and discard. Add the kale and the chickpeas, cook for 10 more minutes until squash is tender.
Serve immediately or cool, and freeze for future enjoyment.